Greens want to stop runaway climate change, by reducing greenhouse gas emissions at least 40% by 2020 and 95% by 2050, over 1990 levels.
Greens support science-based policies to curb climate change. We have an ambitious plan to make drastic changes quickly to avert global catastrophe. We will expend maximum effort to preserve a planet friendly to life as we know it by curtailing greenhouse gas emissions and actively removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
- Creating energy efficiency standards and conservation measures that create massive reductions in energy use over the next 20-30 years
- Establishing a national zero waste policy. The less we consume and throw away, the less we will need to produce and replace
- Establishing carbon taxes on fossil fuels, to reflect the environmental cost of their extraction and use
- Eliminating subsidies for fossil fuels, nuclear power, biomass and waste incineration, and biofuels
- Repaying our climate debt by paying for the costs of adaptation to climate change in countries with less responsibility for climate change
- Creating an inclusive program to train workers for the new, clean energy economy focusing on both the environment and social justice
- An immediate end to the use of nuclear power
- Local, organic agriculture