GPCA Election Code sub-committee
Milestones and Chronology of the EC process
- December 1991 the Green Party of California(GPCA) gained ballot
status. The GPCA opted to use the existing Peace and Freedom party
section of the California election code, as our own.
- June 1992 "NOTA" wins in a GPCA county counil position.
- November 1992 GPCA wins: Green Party v Eu.
- June 1994 "NOTA" wins in a GPCA state gubenatorial primary.
- August 1994 State of Cal files appeal in Green Party v Eu.
- November 1994 Appeals court hears Green Party v Eu,
- January 1995 GPCA loses appeal, Green Party v Jones, no. 013273.
- April 1995 CA Supreme court refuse to hear Green Party v Eu
- March 1999 "Green" wins CA Assembly seat.
- October 1999 "Green" Assemblymember changes registration to DTS.
- December 2000[San Diego] ERWG proposal to create a GPCA election code.
"That the Green Party Election Code is important, and we instruct the
Election Reform Working Group to take this input and come back to the
next general assembly with specific provisions which can test for
consensus." Consensus was reached.
- April 2001[Sacramento] ERWG presents the need and reasons for an EC,
and promises a EC proposal for the next plenary.
- September 2001[San Mateo] ERWG EC proposal "attempt to pass
legislation: empower the Electoral Reform Working Group(to find a
legislator): direct the Electoral Reform Working Group to (work with
other parties)." Consensus was reached.
- Nov 2001 FEC recognizes the GPUS.
- March 2002 Caleb Kleppner steps down as Co-co.
- May 2002[Fresno] Bill Pietz steps in as ERWG Co-co.
- Jan 2003 ERWG request submitted to Assemblymember Laird asking for
assistance in creating our EC language.
- Feb 2003 Bill Pietz steps down as Co-co.
- February 2003 State Legislative Analysts provides
comment on draft
GPCA Election Code.
- May 2003[Sacramento] Chris Collins steps in as as ERWG Co-co.
- Dec 2003 Warner Bloomberg submits two draft election code sections.
- Mar 2004 Election Code sub-committee has its first meeting.
- Mar 2004 Sub-committee proposes timeline to General Assembly.
- June 2004 Sub-committee submits draft code to General Assembly.
- Dec 2005 Sub-committee submits draft code to General Assembly.
- Apr 2006 Sub-committee submits draft code to General Assembly.
This draft is adopted without change.
This is a working bibliography, links to these documents or
webpages is TBD.
Pertinent sections of the California State Election Code
Green Party V. Eu
Green Party V. Jones
2000-April plenary minutes
2000-Dec ERWG plenary proposal
2000-Dec plenary minutes
2001-Sept ERWG plenary proposal
2001-Sept plenary minutes
2002-May ERWG request letter to Assemblymember Laird
2002-Dec EC Language from Warner
2003-Feb Legislative Analyst report
2003-Feb Cross reference homegrown EC with P&F EC
2003-Dec 'Stripped' homegrown EC