Coordinating Committee Minutes, January 7th, 2019

Monday January 7th, 2019
7:30 to 9:30pm
(01) Roll call (2 min)

There are currently 22 committee members. This means quorum is a simple majority of 12.

Victoria Ashley, Alternate Co-Coordinator, Doug Barnett, Marla Bernstein, Carol Bouldin, June Brashares, Eric Brooks, Maxine Daniel, Co-Coordinator, Emmanuel Estrada, Sanda Everette, Sadie Fulton, Colt Gonzales, Josh Jones, Tarik Kanaana, James Lauderdale,
Lauren Mauricio, Ann Menasche, Mimi Newton, Nassim Nouri, Shannel Pittman, Erik Rydberg, Adam Siegel, Laura Wells

Present (18):
Doug Barnett**, Marla Bernstein**, Carol Bouldin (7:42), June Brashares, Eric Brooks, Maxine Daniel, Emmanuel Estrada, Sadie Fulton, Colt Gonzales (7:38), Josh Jones, Tarik Kanaana, James Lauderdale, Lauren Mauricio, Ann Menasche, Nassim Nouri, Shannel Pittman, Adam Siegel, Laura Wells

Absent (4): Victoria Ashley*, Sanda Everette*, Mimi Newton, Erik Rydberg
*Notified CC they will not be on call
**CC Member’s presence during the call was noted after roll call concluded, as reflected in the notes below.

Quorum was achieved at 7:35

(02) Roles (2 min)

Facilitator - Mica
Minute-Taker - Nassim
Time Keeper - June
Vibes Watcher - Tarik


(03) Approval of Agenda (2 min)

*Proposal*: Approve the Agenda
(Draft #3 posted on 1/7/2019 at 11:46 am)

- June proposed to move her late item (Proposal to Change Bylaws Section 8-4 regarding election of CC members) to (08A).
- Laura suggested to keep CPA item (09) under a tight timeline.

Approved by consensus

(04) Decision: Approval of prior months Minutes (4 min)

*Proposal*: Approve the Minutes of November 12th, 2018 GPCA CC meeting as recorded by Mimi Newton (Draft GPCA CC Minutes for November 12, 2018 posted by Mimi to CC email listserve on 1/4/2019 at 10:19am)

No questions.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.

*Proposal*: Approve the Minutes of December 3rd, 2018 GPCA CC meeting as recorded by Nassim Nouri (Draft GPCA CC Minutes for December 3, 2018 posted by Nassim to CC email listserve on 12/6/2018 at 6:39pm)

No questions.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.

(05) Consent Items (2 min)

Background and Purpose: The consent calendar is intended to pass non-controversial items or items consensed prior to the actual meeting. Any item may be objected to and that item will be placed at the end of the evening's agenda.

*Proposal*: Accept the following committee reports for inclusion into the meeting minutes
Committee Reports:

Appendix A - GrassRoots Organizing Working Group (GROW)
Appendix B - Media Committee
Appendix C - IT Committee
Appendix D - Finance Committee
Appendix E - Campaigns and Candidates Working Group (CCWG)
Appendix F - Bylaws Committee

No questions.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.
(06) Decision item: Application for Appointment to IT Committee from Audra Walton (5 min)

From: Audra Walton
Date: Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 12:13 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] Audra Walton: Application to the IT Committee
Dear Coordinating Committee of GPCA,

Please accept this email as a formal application to serve the Green Party California as a member of the Information Technology Committee.
My name is Audra Walton, I am a Gamer and have been since +/- 1981. I come from a fortunate enough background that I don't remember an age when I did not have access to a personal computer, in the home. I was also blessed with a sweet librarian that let me stay and play video games after school, even though I'd dropped the schools 3.5 in. floppy copy of pac man on the carpeted floor - and ruined it. I grew up a bit spoiled and was also privileged to own most video game consoles and handheld devices as they hit the market (or soon thereafter). One birthday, I received an entire Arcade Game - Tempest! My uncle bought himself a pinball machine within the same year. I exploited both for quarters from my friends and neighbors although I could have let them play for free.

I used the Video Game Voters Network website to register to vote and join the Green Party in 2016 - just after I watched Mel walk out of the DNC with Jill Stein. Although I had a hard time finding my local party, I have been an active county council member since 2017. I am the Monterey County Green Party Representative on the Monterey County Peace Coalition, Women's March Monterey Bay, Monterey County/Salinas Valley Rapid Response Network (now defunct - because Indivisible-Immigration task force did weird things). I'm also a member of Citizens for Just Water, and our public water district board approved my application for me to sit on the Water Conservation Commission (this one is brand new and doesn't start officially until the 10th of Jan.)

Although I feel honestly wet-behind the-ears with respect to this level of community involvement and civic engagement, I believe that my gaming experiences over the years has provided an informal but very rich education in Information Technology that translates nicely into real world applications. I am confident that this skill set will benefit the IT Committee.

Best Regards,
Audra M. Walton

*Proposal*: Appoint Audra Walton to IT Committee

Clarifying question: Tarik asked how many IT openings were available? Nassim confirmed there were four.
Affirmations by Sadie, Nassim, Josh and Shannel.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.
(07) Decision item: Application for Appointment to IT Committee from David Bond (5 min)
From: David Bond
Date: Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 11:32 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] David Bond Application to the IT Committee

I'm David Bond, a Green Party member for the past 2+ years. I live in Los Angeles and was campaign manager for Kenneth Mejia recently. I've been in IT for the past 18 years. I do Microsoft consulting, but am really good with any database work, and data intelligence stuff. I'm more of a backend systems guy than a front-end user interface or web developer.

I'm very interested in helping the Green Party any way I can.

David Bond

*Proposal*: Appoint David Bond to IT Committee

Affirmations by Jim, Tarik, Shannel, Nassim.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.

At 7:52: Eric Brooks suggested and provided a short explanation on the consensus decision making process for Emmanuel who joined the call as a new CC member.


(08) Decision item: Application for Appointment to Bylaws Committee from Laura Wells (5 min)
From: Laura Wells
Date: Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM
Subject: Application to Bylaws Committee (for Jan 7, 2019 CC call)

This is my application for appointment to the Bylaws Committee. I was a member for two years from August 2016 through August 2018, and I did not re-apply at that time because I was busy with a congressional campaign. My background with the Green Party is that I registered Green in early 1992, and have been active at the local, state, and national levels, in many ways, including campaigns, media, and grassroots organizing.

The contribution I would like to make to the GPCA via the Bylaws Committee is to make the Bylaws as helpful and easy to observe as possible. I believe good Bylaws and committee rules can make the internal workings of the party run more smoothly so that we can focus time and energy on creating a better world through our electoral efforts and Green Party support of the social movements. The Bylaws can hit a balance between safeguarding the party from external threats, and allowing us to be more welcoming of effective political and movement activists.

Thank you for your consideration,
Laura Wells

*Proposal*: Appoint Laura Wells to Bylaws Committee

Clarifying question: Tarik asked how many Bylaws openings were available? Laura and Adam responded there were five.
Affirmations by Adam, Josh.
No concerns.
Approved by consensus.


(08A) Proposal to Change Bylaws Section 8-4 regarding election of CC members

From: June Brashares
Date: Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:39 AM
Subject: Late Item for tonight's agenda - Decision item: Proposal to Change Bylaws Section 8-4 regarding election of CC members
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee
Subject: Decision item: Proposal to Change Bylaws Section 8-4 regarding election of CC members

Sponsor: June Brashares
Background: Due to the current GPCA Bylaws, the GPCA is expending a lot of valuable volunteer time on the administration SGA elections to fill single CC seats caused by mid-term vacancies. The CC already approved a proposal for changing the bylaws regarding the gender of candidates for election to the CC but those proposed changes have yet to go to the SGA for a vote.

Proposal: that the CC submit to the SGA proposed changes for GPCA Bylaws section 8-4 covering how the CC is elected which includes election of CC members to fill mid-term vacancies. The proposal shall re-write Bylaws section 8-4 to incorporate the previously approved proposal (regarding non-binary gender candidates and election of female CC members) and also incorporate changes regarding filling mid-term vacancies so that each mid-term vacancy would not trigger an election until there are 6 mid-term vacancies or if the CC drops below 13, and then when there is an SGA election to fill mid-term vacancies the election would be for filling all the open seats on the CC (while following the rules about gender).
The CC's suggested changes will be provided to the Bylaws Committee in time for their upcoming January meeting to enable Bylaws Committee's input.
After the consultation by the Bylaws Committee, the final text for the proposal to change the Bylaws would be on the CC's meeting agenda so it can b be approved at the CC meeting on February 4th.

The CC's suggested changes will be provided to the Bylaws Committee, after allowing consultation by the Bylaws Committee in January, final text shall be approved at the CC meeting on February 4th and then immediately go to the SGA so it can start a SGA election for it on Feb 11th (6-week discussion, last week of March would be the vote) so that SGA vote would be completed the last day of March, so on April 1 the call for candidates for the election of the CC can incorporate the new bylaws. That allows 4 weeks for candidates to apply until the deadline for candidate applications on April 29th.

- June presented the proposal, and suggested a minor addition to this that Rank Choice Voting would be removed from single vote elections, as it causes confusion for voters in the voting process.

- Affirmation by Nassim.
- Clarifying question: Tarik asked if write-ins are allowed or not? June responded write-ins are not addressed by this proposal. Other aspects of bylaws changes could be done separately.
- Tarik suggested June leave off the yes/no vote for single seats until the write-in question has been addressed. since currently there is a write-in option for multi-seat elections.
- Erik, Lauren and Sadie discussed the current write-in process and the need to address the workload on SGA admins.
- Eric had blocking concern about letting the CC go to 13 members, warned against not having enough members, suggested higher thresholds and more ways for CC to trigger CC elections.
- June suggested she send two separate proposals to the Bylaws Committee, separating the yes/no single seat vote from this current proposal in SGA vote trigger.
- Laura suggested and June accepted a friendly amendment: If there is a midterm vacancy it would not immediately trigger an election, unless there are 5 CC vacancies or the CC drops to 15, the CC can also decide by a 50%+1 vote to conduct a CC election.

Approved by consensus.


(09) Discussion item: Relationship with the California Progressive Alliance (CPA) [June requested 50 min]

CO-SPONSOR(S): Laura Wells, Alameda County, and (possibly) Sadie Fulton, Yolo County, and (possibly) Eric Brooks, San Francisco

PURPOSE: The goals are to advance the Green Party of California and the Green Party’s Ten Key Values, and to oppose the influence of corporate money in politics.

WHEREAS, the California Progressive Alliance (CPA) is being developed with very similar values to the Green Party, including being corporate-free, and so that makes it a possible good partner in helping advance what the Green Party is trying to do in the world; and

WHEREAS, the Coordinating Committee (CC) wants to make sure that our relationship with the CPA helps the Green Party of California grow and expand, not wither and shrink, because the GP is, significantly, the largest national political party in which the entire party holds the Green key values, including being corporate-free;

that the CC discuss what strategies to take toward possible collaboration and coalition-building with the CPA, and other, similar organizations.


Time requested is 20 minutes, or more if available given other agenda items.

The suggested process is to have a go-around during the call so that we hear from everyone on the call (expanding beyond the usual speakers). It would be tightly timed, for example, 30 seconds to say a sentence each about (a) what we hope for as the best outcome in working with an organization like the CPA, and (b) our biggest fear. Time permitting, we could do a second go-around.

These are links to the home page, with individual membership information, and to the registration page for the founding convention on the weekend of March 30-31, 2019, in San Luis Obispo (early bird registration is available)

- Laura and Sadie recalled their proposals and no decision was called for.
- Laura suggested everyone take 1 minute to express their hopes and concerns about working with CPA.
- All members present expressed their ideas. **Not on the call at this time - Doug, Marla

Adjourned at 9:30



Appendix A
GROW 12/11/18 meeting notes
From: Laura Wells
Date: Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 3:51 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] GROW 12/11/18 meeting notes (monthly reporting for CC call 1/7/18)
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

GROW - Grassroots Organizing Working Group
Monthly teleconference, 12/11/18, 7:30pm, 2nd Tuesday
605-475-4923, Code 510301#

ATTENDEES & ROLES: FACILITATOR Anthony Krzywicki (co-co), NOTETAKER Laura Wells (co-co), Richard Gomez, Jewel Krzywicki, Shannel Pittman, Audra Walton

AGENDA ITEMS (*** indicates an action item)

1) WORK PLAN - due at the end of January
*** Anthony will draft Work Plan
- Reviewed GROW’s mission
- Due to current budget constraints, decided not to request an organizer this year; instead work with adjacent counties to activate them
- Gather complete lists of county council members in active counties across the state
- Request $500 for mailing supplies
- Continue organizing committee and working group co-co calls
- Work with Clearinghouse to develop caucus pamphlets, e.g. Lavender Caucus
- Reach out to counties to encourage identifying people interested in running as candidates and campaign staff in 2020

2) CO-CO MEETINGS of the co-coordinators of committees and working groups
*** Laura will work on scheduling next call, maybe a doodle poll.
*** Laura will send out prior notes

*** Richard will see if there’s an opening in national Diversity Committee; every state has two members
- Next General Assembly is planned for April/May/June in Alameda County
- Women’s March is January 19 in many locations including Fresno, Sonoma, Monterey
- California Progressive Alliance founding convention in SLO in March 30-31
- Discussed sharing GPCA talking points to GPCA activists (work with Media Committee?)

- January 8, 2019, 7:30 pm
- February 12, 2019, 7:30 pm

Appendix B

MEDIA COMMITTEE 12/20/18 meeting notes

From: Laura Wells
Date: Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 4:17 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] MEDIA COMMITTEE 12/20/18 meeting notes (monthly reporting for CC call 1/7/19)
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

12/20/18, Thursday, 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm (usually 4th Tuesdays, which would be a holiday)
605-475-4923, Code 510301#

MEMBERS PRESENT: Diana Brown (TIMEKEEPER), Michael Gaboury, Mike Gonzales, Wes Rolley, and spokesperson Laura Wells (NOTETAKER)
ABSENT: James Young, Susan Lamont, and spokesperson Erik Rydberg

1) Media Co-coordinator: Diana Brown was approved.
2) Spokesperson communications: Followed up on CC approved proposal urging Media to address the issue, Erik Rydberg was removed as GPCA spokesperson, while noting the possibility of being reappointed in the future
3) Admins on GPCA pages: Planning to research and update admins and email lists, working with IT.
4) Roster of spokespersons: Planning to increase roster to include bilingual and other diversities.
5) Media Committee vacancy: Acknowledging that the proposed bylaw amendment to make spokespersons voting members was not officially approved by the SGA/Standing General Assembly, spokesperson Laura Wells is not a voting member, which opens a vacancy. Will seek eligible appointees, who must have attended at least one in-person General Assembly within the last five or be a Standing General Assembly delegate.
6) Work plan: Diana will draft a work plan for review; the committee brainstormed possible work plan and budget items, including PR Newswire; video announcements; reviewing what gets getting picked up by media outlets.
7) Media release will be drafted on expectations of governor-elect Gavin Newsom, including a real Green New Deal for California.
8) Next meetings (usual 4th Tuesdays)
January 22, 2019, 7:30 to 9:30 pm
February 26, 2019, 7:30 to 9:30 pm


Appendix C

IT Committee report

From: Sadie Fulton
Date: Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:41 AM
Subject: [gpca-cc] IT Committee report part 1
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

Meeting was held Tuesday, Dec 17th. (Slight change in timelilne approved by committee consensus.)
Attendees: Colt Gonzales, Nicole Raglin, Sadie Fulton, Diana Brown, Audra Walton.
Minutes: to follow shortly

From: Sadie Fulton
Date: Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] IT committee report - part 2, minutes
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

Facilitator: Sadie
Notes/Time: Nicole
Vibes: Diana
Members present: Sadie, Nicole, Colt
Members absent: Nassim
Guests: Diana, Audra

Data Cleanse:
NB County back-up done. Overall back-up complete. We are ready to purge.
Sadie has made pre-delete reports. It jumps from 100-75K. Sadie added filters. We are way
over in non-emailables. Should we delete everyone and keep emailables. No contact info and
never donated.
Should be delete some emailables. Colt does not think it matters which ones we should or
should not delete. Do three batch deletes. All the ones no contact. One all emailables who
have not opened for two year and not on inform list. One of those who have unsubscribed.
Filters: Inform, Candidate, Volunteer, Donate
Action: Sadie will work on clean-up
Nicole last ticket done was Laura's. Nassim did three in December. Sadie set-up a list serv for
new Activist Working Group, webpage on Drupal for new Activist Working group as well.
Website update:
Colt likes the look of the new site. He will look at it further.
Sadie likes the look of the new as well. More forward facing.
Action: Everyone on call will review. Nicole will send links to Audra and Diana.
List Serv:
Nassim's mailbox is getting blown up from IT Help. Per Colt it is a server is in Czech, emails
get sent to us. Ppl request access and these emails are those requests. Colt will look into
that. A few weeks ago Sadie changed it from this is being moderated to this is being deleted.
There are fewer, but there are more. There is no place where people would know to ask so it
is generally spammy. No legitimate requests should be coming through there.
Action: Colt will follow through with liquid web and look into changing List Serv
passwords and the bot mails.


Appendix D

Finance Committee December Meeting Report

From: Victoria Ashley
Date: Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 12:12 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] December Finance Committee Meeting Report
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

December Finance Committee Meeting
Thursday December 27th, 2018, 8 – 9:00 pm
Dial-in Number: (515) 604-9861
Access Code: 616301*

Victoria Ashley – Liaison, Co-co
Maxine (Mica) Daniel – Co-co
Ruscal Cayangyang – Treasurer

Quinton Crawford
Frank Lambert
Bob Marsh
Tim Laidman
Josh Jones

Updates / Treasurer Report

Bank account balances:
• Travis Credit Union state acct: $7,375.58
• Travis Credit Union federal acct: $1,618.13
• One United acct: $757.54
• PayPal: $3,253.57
• Barnett PayPal: $603.57

Fines status
• No change

Upcoming expenses
• Nationbuilder – $518/mo

What is the timeline for reducing out plan with Nationbuilder?

• Fundraising Letter - $2500 received (profit of $1500)

• There was a hold on the remit envelopes which delayed the envelopes coming in. We did not get the bill for the ones coming in ($68 bill got paid).

• The Bulk Permit was not connected to the PO Box, so that was corrected.

• Ruscal paid the PO Box for the year. At that time, the post office asked if he was Jean Rosenmeier – although Ruscal submitted a form last year, he was not added, so he will be returning to SF to deal with it.

• Email blast – We’ll ask Nassim sometime in January

• Ruscal has a campaign finance report due Jan 31, 2019

Next Meeting: Thursday, January 24th, 2019

Appendix E:

CCWG monthly report

From: June Brashares
Date: Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 6:43 PM
Subject: CCWG montlhly report (consent calendar item)
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

Campaigns & Candidates Working Group (CCWG) montlhly report, consent calendar item
submitted by: June Brashares, CC Liaison to CCWG

The CCWG also had it's regular monthly meeting conference call on Sunday, December, 23rd at 7:30pm
This was during the holiday season and nobody called in.
(CCWG's regular meeting schedule is the 4th Sunday of the month, at 7:30pm)
CCWG's next meeting is Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Call in number is 505-398-0507 (no passcode needed).


Appendix F

Bylaws Committee Monthly Report

From: Mimi Newton
Date: Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 5:59 PM
Subject: [gpca-cc] Monthly Report GPCA Bylaws Committee
To: GPCA Coordinating Committee

Monthly Bylaws Committee Report to the GPCA Coordinating Committee – December 2018

From: The GPCA ByLaws Committee
To: The GPCA Coordinating Committee
Date: January 6, 2019

Submitted By: Mimi Newton, CC Liaison/Co-Co ByLaws Committee
* * *
Date of the last ByLaws Committee Meeting:
Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:00 pm.

Attendees (0): (no quorum)

Date of the ByLaws Committee’s next meeting:

Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 7:30 pm, Call in number

2019 Tentative Schedule of GPCA Bylaws Committee Calls:
(7:30 pm, 3rd Sundays)
Jan. 20, Feb. 17, Mar. 17, Apr. 21, May 19, Jun. 16, Jul. 21, Aug. 18, Sept. 15, Oct. 20, Nov. 17, Dec. 15


Appendix G

Clearinghouse Committee Monthly Report – sent to CC 1/7, 9pm

GPCA Clearinghouse Committee Meeting Tuesday, Dec. 4th 3 - 4:30 pm
All Members present: Mica D. (SJ), Jewel K. (VC), Nassim N. (SC), Brian G. (SC). Quorum at 3:10
Updates and decisions made:
1. New draft of bylaws on Section 9-6 Duties and Authority and Membership of Clearinghouse Committee were approved. Nassim will forward to the Bylaws committee. Also she will coordinate with IT Committee about the definition of “archiving”. Draft new CH Bylaws section:
Bylaws “Section 9-6. Clearinghouse Communications Committee
9-6.1 Duties and Authority
The Clearinghouse Communications Committee is charged with maintaining an archive of all GPCA documents and data. The Clearinghouse Committee is also charged with) facilitating internal and external communications, information dissemination, responding to external inquiries, messaging and content creation for publications and GPCA website, including to:
9-6.1(a) Reply Return and/or redirect to appropriate sources within the Party, all external communications received by phone, email, and postal mail;
9-6.1(b) Create messaging and content for publications and the GPCA website
9-6.1(c) Oversee that information relating to this work on the GPCA website is accurate and up to date.
9-6.1(c) Disseminate information using periodic and regular communications through email blasts to internal and external lists.
9-6.1(d) Be responsible for merchandising and collateral, including budgeting, ordering, storage and shipping
9-6.1(e) Prepare an annual Work Plan and submit it along with any budget requests.
9.6.2 Membership
Communication Clearinghouse Committee shall consist of eight voting members, appointed by the Coordinating Committee to serve staggered two-year terms, including a Coordinating Committee Liaison, who shall serve as one of two Clearinghouse Communication Committee co-coordinators. The other Clearinghouse Committee co-coordinator shall be elected by the Clearinghouse Communication itself. Eligible appointees to the Clearinghouse Communication Committee must have volunteered with the Communication Committee for at least three months, attended at least one in-person General Assembly within the last five or be a Standing (SGA) Delegate, demonstrate a working knowledge of the Bylaws and Rules and Procedures and apply to the Coordinating Committee for appointment.
2. CH discussed coordinating with the Media Committee, on creation of a newsletter, Brian will work on the content for a launch in Feb or within Q1.
3. Jewel suggested and CH ensure accessibility practices are used for both our literature and enable the use of screen reader software to make the GPCA website accessible to the blind and the sight-impaired. She will create easy to read versions of our literature.
4. Report from the Porterville GA: Brian manages the CH table. People liked the t-shirts. CH delivered $551 of donations for literature and t-shirts to Ruscal in the Finance Committee.
5. CH started work on the 2019 work plan, will finalize by end of Jan to submit to finance.
6. CH 2019 monthly meetings will remain on first Tuesday of the month 3-4:30pm.
Meeting adjourned at 4:44 pm

## END ##